Cold, Cold, Go Away!: 10 Foods to Help Beat a Flu or ColdTags: Flu season, Health, Immune system
ACHOOO! That single sneeze can send 100,000 germs into the air and unfortunately your hat, scarf, and gloves can’t always protect you from what lies ahead for this flu season. ..Especially when you’re getting sneezed on by the germ infested person sitting next to you on the train or just regretting not paying with your credit card after noticing a cashier coughing into his hand and then handing you, your change.
Germs are everywhere and as the cold and flu season is upon us, it’s important to realize that protecting yourself from these infectious diseases/viruses requires more than just bundling up. You have to help your body by in-taking a variety of immune-boosting foods that can keep you healthy once the flu season strikes and all year round.
10 Foods to Help Beat a Flu or Cold
1. White Button Mushrooms- These funghi help to increase the activity of natural killer (NK) cells, which are very crucial to your immune system.
2. Tea- Whether it’s black, green, oolong, or pekoe tea, they will all help strengthen your body’s immune response, especially when it’s fighting off an infection.
3. Chicken Soup- Chicken soup has anti-inflammatory properties that inhibit the activity of neutrophils, the white blood cells that are released by viral infections like colds.
4. Garlic- Within garlic, there is Allicin, a powerful antibacterial compound.
5. Broccoli- Broccoli is loaded with the chemical sulforophane, which is a compound activates antioxidant genes and enzymes that counteract the effects of cell-damaging free radicals.
6. Natural Almonds- Natural almonds helps boost disease fighting power in the immune system, but you must eat the almonds with their skins on!
7. Turmeric– Turmeric aids in strengthening cell membranes and helping cells resist infection.
8. Pumpkin- Pumpkin seeds are loaded with Zinc, which helps your body fight infection. The flesh of the pumpkin is filled with immune-boosting beta carotene.
9. Fish- Fish contains plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, which helps to reduce inflammation, increasing airflow and protecting lungs from colds and respiratory infections. Selenium helps white blood cells produce cytokines-proteins that help clear flu viruses out of the body.
10. Yogurt- Yogurt contains Probiotics which are healthy bacteria that keep the gut and intestinal tract free of disease-causing germs.
So before you dive into a tub filled with hand sanitizer to help fight off flu and infection, just remember there are foods you can eat that will strengthen your immune system before, during and after the flu season. This flu season MaxWell Medical wants to help you fight against the germs in this city and SNEEZE LESS!